Antique Wedding Ideas – Pros and Cons Plus Handy Tips
Nothing says ‘romantic’ more than an Antique styled wedding so today I thought I’d share some Antique Wedding Ideas with you! Maybe it’s because Spring is finally here and I’m embracing all of the soft pastel colours! Or perhaps it is simply the old, worn, nostalgic nature of antique items that make it seem so fitting for a wedding.
By the way, today’s blog comes with an awesome freebie for you! Click the button below to get your free printable Antique Tag Set!
Why I Like an Antique Theme
So why look at antique wedding ideas? Not only does an Antique theme tie in really well with soft pastel colours (dusty pastels are perfect) but it can also tie in with gold, bronze or silver beautifully. So in some ways, even though Antique styling has a very specific look to it, it can become versatile and even bring in some current elements and trends.
Perhaps one of the funnest parts of choosing an Antique theme is in finding the items – before going out and purchasing anything, ask around – especially with older friends and family members..you never whose grandma has a treasure stored at home that could be used and have some life breathed into it again!
The Benefits of an Antique Theme for your Wedding
It’s worth noting that are a lot of benefits to going with an Antique theme for your wedding:
- It has a naturally romantic look and feel
- An antique theme can work with nearly any colour combination
- If your family have antique items on hand, you won’t need to spend much money buying decorations for your wedding
- Meaningful antique items are a great way to share the history and stories from your background
- An Antique theme can work with any metallic colour; silver, gold, bronze, copper, rose gold and more
For these reasons I’d highly recommend going ahead with an Antique theme if you are wanting to achieve a romantic, unique and elegant wedding.
By the way, if you need help styling your wedding, I have written a great article on how to style a wedding here.
Antique Wedding Ideas
So behold! Here are some of my favourite antique wedding ideas for you to see. You can also find some more ideas on the Sail and Swan Antique Pinterest Board here, by the way will be super handy if you want to browse for inspiration.
Embroidered Wedding Dress – found on Shop Style
Antique Cutlery and Table Setting – from Magnolia Rouge
Floral Bouquet with Antique Colour Scheme – from Style Me Pretty
Antique Bar Cart – found on 100 Layer Cake
Antique Table Setting – found on Style Me Pretty
Chevrolet – found on The Knot
Antique Furniture for Ceremony – from Style Me Pretty
Antique Cutlery – found on Pinterest
Seating Arrangement with Old Keys – from Mod Wedding
Antique Screens – found on Brides.com
The Down Falls to Having an Antique Theme
With so many gorgeous images of Antique wedding ideas, what is there not to like about this stunning style? Well, there are a few downside to styling your wedding in an Antique theme so it’s best to know them ahead of time and plan accordingly:
- If you aren’t able to borrow many antique items, sourcing them can be tricky and time consuming
- Finding (and purchasing) your own antique items can also be expensive
- Antique themes tend to suit traditional flowers like roses, which are most costly than other flower types
- You may need to hire your own plates and cutlery to match
- Not all wedding dresses are suited to an Antique style
Some Handy Tips
Despite the down falls, an antique theme is still a great choice for your wedding day. Good planning and being organised will help you deal with any if the issues that may arise when going with an antique style. With these down falls in mind, here are a few handy tips that will help you as you plan your antique wedding:
- Save time by calling antique stores ahead of time, so that you know they have the items you are looking for before you visit them
- Cut on costs by attending auctions instead of purchasing direct from antique stores
- Look online for cheap second hand goods – places like Gumtree are a good place to start
- Ask around to see if any of your friends’ families have some antique items, and if they would be ok with you borrowing them
- If you’re asking around, consider putting several Facebook posts out. You don’t need to mention it’s for your wedding – just ask if anyone has the items your are looking for and if they don’t mind you borrowing them. You can then contact them privately and take it from there.
- Chat to your florist about what flowers will be the most cost efficient for you, yet still suitable for your theme
Don’t miss out! You can download our free printable Antique Tag Set for your wedding day! Simply click the button below.
Authentic vs Replicas and DIY
You may not need to source truly authentic antique items. Some home decor stores offer replicas in an antique style that are half the price of the real thing. Provincial Home Living has a great range as does Maison Living, but places like Ikea, Kmart, Cheap as Chips and Neds might have some great finds too. Again, save time by calling ahead before visiting the store to make sure they have what you are looking for.
Consider purchasing new decorations, but then making them look old using distressing techniques. Craft shops will have all sorts of paints, sprays and finishes that can create a distressed look.
Here is a DIY on how to create distressed wooden candle holders. And here is another DIY on how to create distressed metal candle holders. These techniques can also be applied to furniture, vases, pictures frames etc. Here is a tutorial specifically on distressing picture frames. White, soft pastel colours, and metallics are perfect colours to use and can transform any item into something beautiful.
So there you have it! I hope this post was super helpful in weighing up the Pros and Cons of choosing an Antique wedding theme.
Got questions? Leave a comment! Let’s chat.