How to Write the Best Wedding Vows – Wedding Vow Examples and Ideas
Today I am going to show you how to write the best wedding vows! Writing the vows for your wedding day can be trickier than it sounds. There’s so much you may want to include and emotion you want to express, but you also want it to sound flawless. Knowing how to write amazing wedding vows will not only make your wedding ceremony more memorable, but they are something you can keep in the years to come.
Why should you write your own vows anyway? Does it really matter? I didn’t write any special vows for my own wedding (I used very generic ones) and I actually regretted it later. Here are just a few amazing benefits to writing your own vows:
- They will be completely unique and therefore more interesting to your guests
- Your guests won’t have heard them ever before no matter how many weddings they have been to!
- You can tailor them to each of your unique quirks and personalities
- You can make them funny, or really sweet – any kind of vibe that you like!
- It’s more romantic to have your own original vows
- It makes your vows more thoughtful because you’ve put extra time and effort into them
- You can get creative and feature them somewhere else – like a backdrop at your wedding, or printed as an artwork for your home
For these reasons, I truly believe that it’s worth writing your own wedding vows and that it will add a really unique, personalised and romantic touch to your wedding day.
Before You Start
Before you start plan ahead and give yourself lots of time so that you’re not under pressure leading up to the big day. Think about the things you appreciate in your partner and what makes you unique as a couple. Write a list of these things for handy reference; these are the nuggets of gold you will want to include in your vows later when you start writing them.
How to Write the Best Wedding Vows
There are a few really easy steps you take to writing awesome vows. If you have thought it is too hard to pull off some of your own great vows then think again. Put these easy steps into practice and you will write some really unique vows for each other.
- 1) Before you start: Plan ahead and give yourself lots of time so that you’re not under extra pressure leading up to the wedding. This will also give you more time to collect ideas and for writing – your best ideas won’t come all at once, giving you the best chance at writing the perfect vows!
- 2) Focus on individual characteristics: Think about the things you appreciate in your fiancé and what makes them unique. How would you sum up their personality and strengths? What is something funny about them? These are the nuggets of gold you will want to include in your vows.
- 3) Hone in on you as a couple: What makes you unique as a couple? How do you help each other and how have you benefited from being together? What do you want to achieve together as a married couple, and what do your dreams and plans look like?
- 4) Make a List: Write a list for everything from points 2 and 3 for handy reference – this will be of huge help to you when you start writing your vows.
- 5) Consistency: Before leaping in, make you sure you both have a chat about what kind of structure you want your vows to have, and how you can keep both versions consistent with each other. I would recommend writing your vows together, keeping your sentences and flow very similar. You can then make the actual details and descriptions in the sentences different.
Now that You’re Ready
To summarize, you have planned everything out now and are ready to start! Don’t be deceived by the points above – this is what will lay a solid foundation for you to build on. Now that you are ready, here are some tips to help you with the writing side of things:
- 1) Flesh it out: Now you can refer to your handy list from before, and simply flesh out each your favourite points into sentences. It’s simply about adding a bit substance to each of your ideas. It’s really that easy.
- 2) Structure: There is no right or wrong when it comes to the structure of your wedding vows. I would go with what seems most natural to you. Here is my favourite type of wedding vow structure:
Start with your partner and highlight what you love and appreciate about them. This is a great place to include an anecdote or story that brings this to life.
Next, include some promises or commitments to your partner. I would recommend a balance of both serious promises as well as lighthearted ones. For example, a serious promise could be “I commit to stand by your side and bring out the best in you, in all of life’s ups and downs.” A funny or lighthearted example could be “I promise to laugh at your jokes (most of the time).”
And finally, you can end your vows with the future in mind. This is where your list will come in handy again – what do you want to achieve together as a married couple, and what do your dreams and plans look like?
Don’t Aim for Perfection
Literacy perfection isn’t the key here; simply being yourself is the most effective way to write your vows, and that’s what your guests will love about them.
It’s really that easy and you will be surprised how much you have to say about your other half. I truly believe that all the points above are the key to knowing how to write the best wedding vows!
Wedding Vow Examples
Despite the suggestions above, I know that seeing examples of other couple’s vows can be really helpful too. If it helps you in figuring out how to write the best wedding vows, then check out these examples, wording and ideas below:
“From the moment our paths crossed, you’ve surprised me, distracted me, captivated me, and challenged me in ways that no one else ever has. Today I commit myself to you and our marriage. I promise to be there when you need me, to fill your days with sunshine, to comfort you and encourage you, to help you reach your goals, to be your best friend ever and to love you all my life with all my heart.”
“Today, surrounded by people who love us, I choose you, NAME, to be my partner. I am proud to be your wife/husband and to join my life with yours. I vow to support you, push you, inspire you, and above all love you, for better or worse, in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, as long as we both shall live.”
“Today, I promise you this: I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share in your dreams and support you as you strive to achieve your goals. I will listen to you with compassion and understanding, and speak to you with encouragement. Together, let us build a home filled with learning, laughter and light, shared freely with all who may live there. Let us be partners, friends and lovers, today and all of the days that follow.”
How to write the best wedding Vows – Cute Wedding Vow Examples
“Today, we pledge to each other to continue to be loving friends and partners in marriage.
To talk and to listen, to trust, and appreciate one another;
to respect and cherish each other’s uniqueness; and to
support, comfort and strengthen each other through life’s joys and sorrows.
We promise to share hopes, thoughts and dreams as we continue to build our lives together.
May our lives continue to be ever intertwined, our love keeping us together.
May our home be forever filled with peace, happiness, and love.”
“Today I take you as you are, loving who you are now and who you are yet to become. I promise to listen to you and learn from you, to support you and accept your support. To celebrate your triumphs and mourn your losses as though they were my own. I will love you and have faith in your love for me, through all our years and all that life may bring us.”
“ Today I, NAME, take you, NAME, to be my wife/husband, and I promise before God and these witnesses to be your loving and faithful wife/husband. I will be by your side to share with you your happiness and success, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and disappointment. As your companion, I will seek to be open and honest with you, to forgive you as Christ has forgiven me, and to always remind you of the Lord’s plans and promises. Forever I devote my love and my life to you from this day forward.”
Romantic Wedding Vow Examples
“I take you to be my partner for life,
And above all else to live in truth with you
I promise to communicate fully and fearlessly,
And give you my hand and my heart
As a sanctuary of warmth and peace
So I pledge my love, devotion, faith and honor
As I join my life to yours.”
“NAME, I love you. You are my best friend. Today I commit myself to you and our marriage.
I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you
in times of sorrow and struggle. As your companion I promise to love you in good times and in bad,
when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort.
To cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard.
These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.”
“Your beauty, heart, and mind inspire me to be the best person I can be. As your companion I promise to love you for eternity, respecting you, honouring you, being faithful to you, and sharing my life with you. This is my solemn vow.”
“I promise to always be there when you need me, to fill your days with sunshine, to comfort and encourage you, and help you reach your goals. You are my best friend and one true love.”
Funny Wedding Vow Examples
“I promise to comfort you when the Crows lose and drink beer with you when they win.”
“In sickness and in health: I promise to take care of you, even when you’ve over-indulged the night before. For richer or for poorer: I promise not to spend all our money at Nordstrom.”
“ Today I, NAME take you, NAME to be my husband/wife. I promise to always be your biggest fan and your partner in crime. To create and support a family with you, in a household filled with laughter, patience, understanding, and love. I vow not just to grow old together, but to grow together. And so I will love you faithfully through the difficult and the easy. What may come, I will always be there, each one believing that love never dies. As I have given you my hand to hold, so I give you my life to keep.”
“I promise to love and care for you, and I will try in every way to be worthy of your love.
As your companion I will always be honest with you, kind, patient and forgiving.
I promise to try to be on time, and not max out the credit card.
But most of all, I promise to be a true and loyal friend to you.”
Alright my lovely Bride-to-Be friends, I hope you’ve enjoyed these wedding vow examples and that you feel inspired to come up with your own wedding vows!
If you found this article helpful, then you will love this post on Tips for Wishing Well Wording.
So in conclusion, I hope this post has shown you how to write the best wedding vows! Plan ahead, keep it simple and put these practical tips into practice.
Got questions? Leave a comment! Let’s chat.